Who is ready for spring weather and food? I hope this beautiful weekend is not just another tease for spring. I have decided to make a healthy version of chicken and corn chowder for dinner tonight. It is an easy, healthy, gluten free dinner chalk full of nutrients.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb chicken breast or skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- 3 cups chicken stock made into broth
- 2 cups low fat milk
- 4 cups fresh corn cut off the cob
- 1 can white kidney beans (make sure to drain and rinse)
- Top with green onions and cheddar cheese and ½ piece of crispy bacon
In a large pot, toast quinoa over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
Add oil, onion and pepper to the pot and saute over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes, until soft. Add garlic, parsley, thyme and salt and cook 1 minute.
Stir in gluten free flour until combined. Whisk in broth and then milk one cup at a time, whisking and waiting until the soup has thickened slightly before adding the next cup. You will have a thick soup. Add raw chicken and let cook on low heat for a few hours. Then shred the chicken and add back into soup.
- While soup cooks, cook bacon in microwave.
Add corn and beans and heat through, serve.